Friday, March 20, 2015

"The Writing Center Family" by JK Rowling

After being accepted into Advanced Composition last year, I was excited to be a part of the Herndon Writing Center and to get more involved in my school. However, my excitement quickly changed into concern on the first day of class. It was sixth period and I started to become anxious walking down the English hallway.  My mind began to fill my head with nerve wracking thoughts. I started to think about how smart all the other tutors were going to be and how much they love writing. I didn’t want my writing to be compared to theirs and have it look like I didn’t belong there. It wasn’t long for these worries to float away. 

By the end of the class I was completely at ease and walking out the door with a smile on my face. I learned that the Writing Center was a safe place for me to share my writing and place I could go for encouragement. It was refreshing to be in a room with students that had the same interest as me. What I love most about the Herndon Writing Center is how welcoming the Writing Center family is, and I truly mean family. Just after my first class I felt a sense of belonging and like I was finally a part of something in my school; it was great to be a part of a team. Every tutor is happy to be tutoring (including me), creating a positive environment that I look forward to coming to everyday.

No comments:

Post a Comment

"Ivy League School" by Monica Cody

When I was a young child, I knew that I wanted to go to Harvard. To study what, I don’t know. I barely knew what Harvard was, other than th...